Thursday, May 2, 2013

How to Tell if Your MAC Pigment is Fake ~ The 7 Signs of a Counterfeit MAC Pigment Cosmetic

I love Shopping online! I especially love shopping on sites like Amazon and eBay where it's easy to find a unique item or a great deal! Unfortunately on these websites there are a handful of sketchy sellers who are selling customers counterfeit or knockoffs largely against eBay's strict No Replica item policy.

As en eBay store holder it's not fun for me to admit these things as I love and promote eBay as much as possible, but there are certain measures we need to take to make sure we're dealing with legit sellers and avoiding getting swindled. Checking a seller's feedback for any history of complaints is a great start but it's not guaranteed and though most of the auctions are real items, replicas can fall through the cracks. My advice would be to completely stay away from high end cosmetics if you're absolutely not willing to take a chance, or to research how to spot replicas. 

Remember eBay will always back you up if do happen to receive a counterfeit item. They have a great Buyer protection policy. I will be posting more about how you can protect yourself and have the best shopping experience possible on eBay, soon. 

I purchased this fake MAC pigment for $10 on eBay so I could make a post to show you how to spot a MAC Pigment replica. As soon as I received the fake pigment in the mail, I opened a case against the seller and received my money back. Karmas a... :) 

Surprisingly enough this Seller has zero Negative feedbacks. The seller apologized profusely directly to my e-mail, avoiding communicating through eBay completely (using strange English) and sent back my money +$1. Hush money? :)

I went to go leave my Negative feedback after receiving my refund and it seems the seller has either deleted or their account has been suspended. Hopefully it has caught up with them.


I took my Pigment to a MAC store and interviewed a MAC employee. We compared product boxes and I was given some helpful insight to add to the list below. I hope this helps! 
________________________________________________


First check to see if your MAC Pigment has a name sticker on the top of the box. Most counterfeit MAC items don't include any name stickers. The maker of my counterfeit pigment must have been feeling extra crafty and put a name sticker on mine, though mine is still fake.

Number 1: No Name Sticker Means It Might Be Fake


Second check to see if your box's bar code is printed like the one above of if the bar code is printed on a sticker. A real MAC bar code should be on a sticker and attached to the bottom

Number 2: Printed Bar Code = Fake 


Every Pigment comes with a paper description inside the box. Check to see if your Paper says: Caution: The Following Shades Are Not To Be Used On The Lip Area: Teal. A real pigment description would say to not use Golden, Olive and Violet on the lip area. 

Number 3: If your description paper advises not to use Teal, the Pigment is Fake


Like Number 1, your Real MAC should include a name sticker on bottom. Most fakes will just have a number stamped. But like I mentioned, the maker of this fake was feeling extra generous with his labeling. 

Number 4: No Name Sticker On Bottle Bottom = Fake


On the original MAC pigment, the M.A.C logo is a much thinner lettering. This replica's bottle lettering is more bold. 

Number 5: Bold Logo = Fake


Real MAC pigments should have a flat lid that covers over the top of the inside of your pigment. Fake MAC pigments will most likely have a spout type dispenser like in the photo above. FAKE FAKE FAKE :( 

Number 6: Spout dispenser = Fake


If your MAC pigment has a repulsive or strong smell it's likely to be fake. Most MAC pigments have a mild to little scent. This fake has a very pungent plasticy, chemically smell. It smells like a mixture of nail polish and that Nickelodeon play-Gak stuff, hehe! 
Gross, Gross, Gross!

Number 7: Strong Smell Probably = Fake

Most importantly, this pigment is terrible quality. It goes on like dust, the pigment is very non-pigment like and it washes away so easily. No staying power whatsoever. 

People often debate the safeness of using these replica cosmetics. Some will argue that Makeup is Makeup and some will argue that these brands are not regulated and may contain horribly toxic ingredients. Personally I'm not willing to take the chance because I have sensitive skin and allergies as it is. The only replica cosmetic I will use are the brushes. I don't have any replica MAC brushes but I do have some non-branded MAC like brushes out of China that I am satisfied with. 

There are a few other ways to spot fake items, some more obvious than others, like the price, for $10, I already knew this was a fake. If it's too good to be true, it probably is. Don't purchase from a Stock images. Ask for more photos. Don't forget to check feedback as well! 

I hope this helps you on your next online adventure! 
Thanks for reading! 

5 comments:

  1. how to tell a
    is my mascara is true mac?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where was this when I purchased a lot of mac from eBay. ��

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really good and useful post, would share it with my wife so that they can get benefit out of it. Thank you for sharing it with us

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting post, I am going to share it with my female friends as I believe they would be interested in knowing it. Thank you for sharing it

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saved me from wasting my money. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

Drop me a line! ;)